LabKit/SatSite Monitoring with Zabbix – Basic Configurations
In this guide, will explain how to install Zabbix serer , configure it and configure the LabKit/SatSite.
In order to have the full functionality as per this guide, you need to have:
- Yate-enb 7825 or newer
- yate-sdr-1.1-1_r214_r477_8217 or newer
- yate-common-1.7-1_r110 or newer
For SatSite, it also requires
Note: Yate-common 1.7.1 is not currently part of the public release yet but its released for LabKits/SatSites. Note: Yate-bts-satsite and legba-satsite-utilities won’t be part of any public releases as they are hardware specific.
Zabbix server Installation
Zabbix is an enterprise open source monitoring software, is used to monitor and track the status of various network services, servers, and other network hardware.
There are various methods for installing Zabbix server, we are going to use Zabbix appliance on Virtual Box.
- Install VirtualBox on your server
- Download Zabbix Appliance in the ovf extension
- From the VirtualBox -> File -> Import appliance -> browse for Zabbix appliance -> import
- Make sure you are running the desired network setting: Settings -> Network (For our server we are using Bridged Adapter)
- start the Appliance and login with appliance/ zabbix
- apply the command (ifconfig) to know Zabbix IP address
- From any device with reachability to the Zabbix server, open the browser and enter http://<zabbix-server-ip>/zabbix
- You should be able to login with Admin / zabbix
We need to configure Zabbix (TM) PHP active agent for Yate based products. It uses the Zabbix version 1 JSON to push requested data to a Zabbix server. Zabbix.php is an active agent and is included in yate-common rpm package.
- Login to the Labkits/Satsite via ssh (ssh yatebts@<Basestation-IP> -p 54321) and user the credentials yatebts/<unit serial number>
- Open (or create, if it doesn’t exist) the configurations file ( /etc/yate/sdr/extmodule.conf) and add the following
- zabbix.php=server OR zabbix.php=server:port
- for multiple servers: zabbix.php=server:port,server:port,…
- systemctl restart yate-sdr.service
Zabbix server configurations
Add the template to the Server
- Open Zabbix frontend http://<zabbix-server-ip>/zabbix and login with (Admin / zabbix )
- Navigate to configurations -> Template -> Import -> select the file <file>.xml and keep the rules to the default -> Import
- You should get a message with import successfuly and you can find the template when you search for (sdr)
Add the LabKit/SatSite as a host
- From Zabbix frontend, navigate to configuration -> hosts -> create host
- In the create host page:
- From Host tab
- set Hostname to yate-sdr-ybts-<serial number of the labkit/Satsite>
- Optionally set visible name for how you will see the host
- Create new group for basestations or use any predefined group
- Set the Labkit/Satsite IP address
- Make sure the host is enable
Link the host(s) to the template
Option 1: Link each host by itself: Configuration -> Hosts -> Select the host -> Template tab -> search for Template YateSDR and link it -> press update.
Option 2: Link for the group of hosts: Configuration -> Templates -> select (Template YateSDR) -> add the group of your hosts in the filed groups -> update.
Receive emails for triggers
Zabbix offer sending email notifications when triggers happen.
To configure it:
Configure the email that will be used to send from: Administration -> media types -> email
- Create a user (if not already exist) from Administration -> Users -> User
- Add email to the user from Administration -> Users -> Media then enter the email address that will receive the notifications
Create Action to send emails upon trigger. From Configuration -> Actions
- Action tab: Name: Create the name & Conditions: Trigger name contain (string of the trigger you want to have notification for)
- Operation: Add for user or group of users to get email when the trigger happen
- Recovery: Add for user or group of users to get email when the trigger has been recovered
- Update operation: Add for user or group of users to get email when the trigger has been acknowledged
To confirm the email has been sent from Zabbix: Reports -> action log -> check status
Note: for Gmail users, you need to enable less secure APPs